Imperial Airways’ Armstrong Whitworth AW15 Atalantas Monoplane flew to Singapore’s Seletar Air Base from Central Africa for the first time this day. It could fly at 130 km/h. It was described as the fastest and most luxurious aircraft produced for the tropical region. Passengers could walk about and enjoy their refreshments on board.
The Singapore Turf Club (STC) got its name to reflect its racing activities. As the racing fever caught on, the facilities at Farrer Park had become inadequate. In 1927, the STC sold Farrer Park land to the Singapore Improvement Trust (SIT) and purchased part of a Bukit Timah rubber estate. The new course at Bukit Timah was opened on 15 April 1933. Amazingly, it was only in 1960 that members of the public were allowed to attend races which, before then, were restricted to members and owners.