Victoria Memorial Hall Opened


Places No Comments

Victoria Memorial Hall was officially opened by the Governor of the Straits Settlements, John Anderson. It was build in memory of the late Queen Victoria. Public funds for its construction amounting to $368,000 were collected, exceeding the construction costs, thus leaving a surplus of $22,000 for refurbishments.

At a public meeting held in the Town Hall on 13 December 1901, a resolution was passed to build a memorial hall for Queen Victoria, who had passed away on 22 January 1901. The Town Hall was to be incorporated into the design. This task was executed by R. A. J. Bidwell of Swan & Maclaren. The design is considered Palladian in style, a common style for 19th century British Singapore.

The colonial government led a fund-raising scheme for the construction work, raising $368,000 with $28,000 to spare. The extra cash was used to refurbish the theatre in the Town Hall and to unify the facades of the two buildings.

Tags: .

Leave a Reply

Blog at WordPress.com. Entries RSS Comments RSS   Theme: Basic by ThemeLab.