Raffles Place Temple to be Restored


Nation Building, Places No Comments

Ngee Ann Kongsi foundation, Yueh Hai Ching Temple, will commit $5 million to restore it over two years, beginning next year. Yueh Hai Ching Temple was built in 1855 at its same current location near Raffles Place. Its rooftop sculptures have dulled in colour and chipped. The temple’s interior rosewood beams have all lost some of its joint. Some of its concrete wall carvings turn into powder upon touch. The temple makeover is schedule to begin after Chinese New Year in February 2011.

Yueh Hai Ching Temple, also known as Wak Hai Cheng Beo in Teochew, is Singapore’s oldest Taoist Chinese Temple. It was constructed between 1850 and 1855, and was rebuilt in 1895. The temple holds a special significance for the Teochew community, whose way of life was closely associated with the sea. It is the only temple in Singapore to have stunningly detailed three-dimensional moulded ornaments on its roofs. Chinese Emperor Guang Xu presented a plaque to the temple in 1907.

Emperor Guang Xu, also known as Kwang Hsu, was the tenth Emperor of the Qing Dynasty that ruled China under the direction of Empress Dowager Cixi between 1872-1908. Emperor Guang Xu was succeeded by China’s last Emperor Pu Yi (aka Xuang Tong or Henry Pu Yi).

Off-site Photo:

Yueh Hai Ching Temple.

Leave a Reply

Blog at WordPress.com. Entries RSS Comments RSS   Theme: Basic by ThemeLab.