Changi Prison Opens


Places No Comments

Changi Prison is the last prison built by the British in Singapore. Changi Prison, a maximum security prison, was built and operationalised in 1936.  “It is hoped that in due course this Prison may become a training ground for the misfits of society, rather than a purely penal institution.” – OC Hancock, Inspector of Prisons of the Straits Settlements and the Federated Malay States, at the opening of Changi Prison on 4 January 1937. With this, a new philosophy of reform and rehabilitation was promulgated.

1937
Photo Credit: National Archives.

The convict prison which is surrounded by 3,000 feet long and 24 feet high reinforced concrete outer wall and another 14 feet inner wall. The prison was built at the cost of $2 million and occupied an area of 13 acres with generous exercise yards. It can house 600 prisoners at anyone time.

Tags: .

Leave a Reply

Blog at WordPress.com. Entries RSS Comments RSS   Theme: Basic by ThemeLab.