Infectious Diseases Camp Along Moulmein Road


Places No Comments

In Singapore Government established a new quarantine camp along Moulmein Road and called it the Government Infectious Diseases Camp. And closed the Pauper’s Hospital.

The Pauper’s Hospital

Tan Tock Seng, Hokien merchant philanthropist, founded the Chinese Pauper’s Hospital on Pearl’s Hill in 1844. The hospital’s mission of caring and humanitarianism through its Victorian style bungalows and open pavilion type wards. Singaporeans afflicted with typhoid fever, plague, cholera, beriberi, malaria and many other infectious diseases received care in the wards of the Pauper’s Hospital.

In1857, the hospital moved to a new site at the junction of Serangoon Road and Balestier Road, because the government needed Pearl Hill for gunnery placement. The new hospital added two new wards, one for lepers and one for women. Its nickname was Rumah Miskin or House of the Poor.

In 1901, the hospital again moved the hospital to a new site between Moulmein Road and Balestier Road.

Leave a Reply

Blog at WordPress.com. Entries RSS Comments RSS   Theme: Basic by ThemeLab.