Supreme Court Opened


Places No Comments

The Supreme Court building was declared open on 3 August 1939 by Sir Shenton Thomas and handed over to the Chief Justice, Sir Percy McElwaine, on the same day. The courthouse had 11 courtrooms and adjoining judges’ chambers.

The courthouse features Corinthian columns, classical design, and spacious interiors with murals by the Italian artists. The four-storey steel structure was erected by United Engineers. The building consists of four blocks surrounding a central courtyard which houses the circular law library with its significant dome and Travertine columns supporting two balconies on two levels. Behind the main dome, there is a smaller dome.

The pediment sculpture (an allegory of justice) and the Corinthian columns which characterized the Supreme Court are works by Italian sculptor Cavaliere Rudolfo Nolli. Nolli also carried works for the general building, pre-cast works, imitation stone sculptures, artistic decorations, special plastering and bush-hammered facing works.

Tags: .

Leave a Reply

Blog at WordPress.com. Entries RSS Comments RSS   Theme: Basic by ThemeLab.